Your body is composed of sixty per cent of water. Keeping yourself hydrated at all times is important to ensure that your organs function properly. The skin is the largest organ in the body, so it follows that you need to keep your skin hydrated as well. If the skin has enough amounts of water, then you will get the following benefits.
- Reduce Signs of Premature Aging: When you keep your skin hydrated, it will maintain its elastic property and prevent wrinkle formation. Having enough moisture on your skin will slow down the signs of aging. Signs of aging will usually appear in the skin surrounding your eyes. You can moisturize this area with the help of eye creams.
- Improve Skin Appearance: If your skin is dry, it will look flaky and tight, especially the skin of your face. When properly hydrated, your skin will look plump, healthy, and young-looking.
Your skin has the natural ability to keep itself hydrated. Your outermost layer of the skin contains ceramide, lipids, and natural moisturizing factor (NMF) and similar nourishing components that regulate the amount of water that the skin can hold. However, different factors such as exposure to the sun, humidity in the air, aging, and skin diseases may affect your skin’s ability to naturally retain moisture. When this happens, you will need the help of products such as serums and eye creams to maintain your skin’s moisture content.
How to Choose the Right Eye Cream
The skin surrounding your eyes is very delicate and thin. Because of this, it is more prone to dry out faster than the rest of your face’s skin. Likewise, when you age, the ability of your skin to hold moisture will diminish. If this happens, the skin surrounding your eyes will develop wrinkles and crow’s feet that will make you look older and worn. If you want to retain the skin’s moisture around your eyes, use eye creams with natural ingredients such as almond oil, argan oil, glycerin, hyaluronic acid, jojoba, and shea butter.
Properties of Eye Creams to Look For
Many eye cream products are being marketed, claiming to be the best eye cream for you. You may find it difficult to choose which product is right for you with so many to choose from. It is best to conduct your research and experiment on different products before committing to one eye cream brand. Here are some of the important ingredients and their properties to look for.
- Non-Allergenic: The skin surrounding your eyes is thin and sensitive and may easily get irritated with different chemical ingredients. Likewise, you may see eye creams that claim that their ingredients are hypo-allergenic. Since each person’s skin may react differently with chemical ingredients, it is best to test out a small amount of eye cream first and assess your skin’s reaction to it. Your skin’s reaction will be the determining factor in choosing an eye cream brand.
- Humectant Ingredients: Humectants are chemical compounds that act like a sponge that draws in moisture from its environment. Examples of humectant ingredients are ceramides, niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, and Vitamin E. These ingredients attract water molecules to bind to them. Likewise, these ingredients will also help the skin retain moisture, preventing it from drying up and looking worn.
- Anti-Swelling Properties: If you are prone to having puffy eye bags, you will need an eye cream with anti-inflammatory ingredients such as caffeine, chamomile, and Vitamin K.
- Ingredients for Protection: The lipids in the topmost layer of our skin help protect our internal organs from the bombardment of UV rays and other pollutants entering our skin. As we grow old, the lipid barrier that protects against irritants entering through our skin slows down. You can help strengthen your skin’s lipid barrier by choosing an eye cream with ingredients such as peptides, coenzyme Q10, Vitamin C, Ferulic Acid, and SPF.
Eye creams come in different ingredient combinations. It is best to carefully assess each ingredient to determine if the eye cream you are buying is right for you. It is still best to ask your dermatologist for recommendations.