The Republic of Mauritius is an island nation of the Indian ocean. Mauritius has beautiful landscapes, waterfalls, hiking trails, beaches, rainforests, and lakes. A trip to Mauritius can be very relaxing and enjoyable. It may give you just what you need. Mauritius has adventure, calm destinations, and many other things. Mauritius is a great place for a holiday.
Traveling when in Mauritius can be a question you will face. The best bet to make traveling in Mauritius easy and convenient is renting a car. You can always choose to go with a Self-Drive Car Rental, or you could choose to rent a car which will be provided with a driver. There are a few guidelines you could use when using a rental car with a driver in Mauritius.
Following are tips that could help you when driving with a rental car and driver in Mauritius: –
- Usually, people with a driver’s license provided by authorities in their own country are allowed to drive in Mauritius on the same driver’s license. You may still want to check if your country has this kind of arrangement with Mauritius. If you are hiring a car rental with a driver, your driver will and must have a license.
- There are certain speed limitations that need to be followed extremely strictly when in Mauritius. When driving in a collection of roads or small roads, make sure your speed is below 40 km/h. when driving on main and big roads, your car cannot exceed the speed of more than 80km/h. on highways, the speed limit changes from 80 km/h to 110 km/h. make sure you check the speed signs. If you decide to hire a driver, they will most definitely be informed about these speed limitations, but you must enquire about it.
- All road signs and markings on roadsides follow international standards and will hence be easy to understand.
- Mauritians drive on the left side of the road and when in Mauritius, do what the Mauritians do. Even though you drive on the left side of the road, priority is given to vehicles coming from the right. Make sure your hired driver follows this code of conduct while driving the rental car.
- You will find that the rush hours of Mauritius are usually between 7.30 am to 9.30 am and 3.00 pm to 6.00 pm. These are the peak hours when you will find streets with heavy traffic. Avoid traveling too much with your car in peak hours so that you can successfully avoid getting stuck in traffic as well.
- parking is free almost everywhere in Mauritius. You have to pay for parking in some commercial buildings, the main town and some city centers. Also, there is paid parking available all over Mauritius and is safer than the usual roadside parking. Of course, your driver will know road etiquette, and you will not have to worry a lot about this.
- Just like anywhere else, wearing your seatbelt is a must. All passengers and the driver must wear their seatbelts at all given times. Make sure you follow this when going from one place to another. Your hired driver must also be buckled in before starting your journey.
- Using your mobile phone when driving is not at all tolerated in Mauritius. You must not use your phone for any kind of reason when driving. Make sure your driver follows this and does not use his phone while driving, either. This is a rule that has been set for your own safety so, to ensure your safety and respect their rule, you must adhere to it.
- Road tolls are a concept that is inapplicable in Mauritius and hence not something you need to worry about.
Mauritius is a beautiful place and a country with strict rules that they have set for a benefit for everyone. When visiting their country, make a note of all the rules that are applicable to you as a visitor or tourist and strictly follow them. If or when you use the facility of car rental with driver, make sure your driver knows and follows these rules. Not following them will get you in trouble, which is something you want to avoid when in a foreign country.