PAN (Permanent Account Number) is a photo identity card issued by The Income Tax Department of India and holds a unique ten-digit alphanumeric character. This unique number helps track the taxable income of individuals and organizations along with financial transactions made by them so that they can’t evade taxes.
Since the card is a key consideration in an individual’s portfolio, meeting scenarios of PAN card loss or theft can put them in a situation of potential risk. This can cause them severe problems as it can be miss-utilized for fraudulent transactions.
In such scenarios, individuals must file an FIR before opting for a reprint of PAN card. They have to adhere to the procedure mentioned below and apply for a reprint of their PAN card…
How to apply for a lost pan card?
Individuals need to browse to the official website of NSDL to apply for a reprint of PAN card and then follow the below steps as listed –
- Individuals need to choose the ‘Reprint of PAN card’ option from the home page. In case the option isn’t visible on the home page itself, they need to go to the ‘Services’ page followed by a ‘PAN’ option to be able to access the same.
- On the new webpage that has opened, cardholders need to provide essential details like their PAN, Aadhaar number, and date of birth. They should also tick the box to allow usage of their Aadhaar data for the reprint of the lost PAN card application to proceed further.
- Input the captcha as shown on screen and tap ‘Submit’ to see provided details on screen.
- In the following step, individuals need to choose their preferred option to receive an OTP, i.e. email, mobile number, or both. Note that email ID and contact number shown here is as per the data inputted in the original application.
- Tap on the ‘Generate OTP’ button to receive the one time password on the preferred option. It is to note that the OTP is valid for 10 minutes.
- Input the received OTP and click on the ‘Validate’ option. Once validated, individuals will be redirected to the payment page.
- Individuals need to tap on ‘Pay Confirm’ and make payment for the reprint of PAN card missing. The fee charged to an individual depends upon the address where they want the card to be delivered.
- Details of the successful transaction will be displayed on the computer screen. Individuals need to generate and print payment receipts for the same.
- After completion of the process, an SMS will be sent to the registered mobile with the acknowledgment number. Individuals will also obtain a link to download e-PAN.
Therefore, cardholders can follow these steps mentioned above to reprint the PAN card lost in India. However, they will have to make payment for the reprint fee at the time of the process.
Insurance plans such as Wallet Care offered by Bajaj Finserv under their Pocket Insurance & Subscriptions can help with financial reimbursement for a replacement PAN card in addition to the other assistance like card blocking, SIM blocking, and emergency travel assistance.
Those having an insurance plan like purse care can also avoid paying this fee from their pocket as they can have this amount compensated from the insurance issuer.
Losing valuable belongings or having met with perils of theft can cause financial damage to a customer, and in such scenarios, such policies come handy. These not only provide financial assistance but help individuals in blocking their debit cards and credit cards in one call.
Subsequently, one can opt for a reprint of PAN card lost using the method mentioned above and either download an e-PAN card or get a physical copy delivered to their address.
It is also advisable to consider the other repercussions of a lost PAN card. In the wrong hands, it can be used to make unauthorized transactions maligning the actual owner. Accordingly, it is also advisable to avail of an identity theft cover insurance plan to financially safeguard against such happenstances.