There are different kinds of offences and crimes that an individual can get charged with and must appear in court. If you do find yourself in such a situation you need the best protection for your case, and this is where a defence lawyer comes in who can defend you in the court and prevent a guilty verdict.
Based on the type of case and crime, there are different types of defence lawyers that can be hired. While some may represent several areas, others specialise in specific fields and laws. You will come across terms like a public defender and defence attorney who represent the accused. However, both are different as the public defender is appointed by the court while the defence lawyer is hired personally by the defendant. The public defenders may or may not have the time and resources available to them when compared to a defence lawyer. Hence, it makes more sense to hire the right kind of defence attorney for your case.
Kinds of Defence Lawyers
In society, there are all kinds of disputes happening all the time. Some may get involved in a robbery, some in bankruptcy or a family dispute or may even have been charged with a crime. It is a wiser choice to hire a defence lawyer for your case and be aware of the kind of lawyer you would need based on your situation. Even if you lose the case the first time, you can make another appeal in the court and keep the process going.
Here are some of the various types of defence lawyers:
- Malpractice defence lawyers – These defence lawyers are needed in cases where a government official, doctor, or a company is being sued for violation of the rights. There are experts who specialize in malpractice law.
- Criminal defence lawyers – These lawyers work on criminal defences and produce evidence in the court in support of their defendant. Some of the crimes these lawyers work on include murders and other criminal offences.
- Family defence lawyers – These lawyers handle all kinds of cases related to domestic violations like divorce, child custody, adoption, postnuptial agreements, alimony, and more. They also investigate domestic violence and child abuse cases.
- Personal Injury defence lawyers – The personal injury lawyer work for their defendants who have charged an organization or firm for physical or psychological injuries. He deals with civil legal damages and helps to get his client the proper compensation he deserves.
- Business defence lawyers – These top defence lawyers are also known as business lawyers and carry expertise in managing, maintaining, and dissolving a business. They deal with tax compliance, acquisitions, employment contracts and mergers.
- Bankruptcy defence lawyers – There are many people or businesses that struggle with their finances and debts and need legal help that can prevent them from going bankrupt. The bankruptcy attorneys help negotiate deals and look for good repayment plans for their clients.
- Intellectual Property defence lawyers- The IP Lawyers protect the public from copycats and duplicates. This is an era where scientific or technical inventions are more common, and those creations need protection from copycats. The intellectual property lawyer carries expert knowledge to handle such cases.
- Labour defence lawyers – With the labour laws getting more complex and elaborate, every worker needs safety from workplace discriminations and unlawful lay-offs. Labour defence lawyers work with unions and are most helpful for the employees who have no one on their side.
- Immigration defence lawyers- There are hundreds and thousands of cases every year that relate to immigration. Moreover, there are tons of paperwork to submit when one is in the process, and the immigration laws are forever changing. This is where an immigration lawyer can step in and guide you in the right direction.