Grains are part of traditional diets, but some people have started taking grains out due to allergies. Others sing praises because the diet had helped them lose weight. Although it may seem so restrictive, this way of eating is believed to offer various health benefits such as improved digestion and reduced blood sugar levels. The question is, would your canine friend also experience health benefits from going grain-free? A healthy diet builds a healthy and happy life for your dogs. There are various benefits of grain free dog food. Given below are a few of them to help you make this switch.
What Is Grain-Free Dog Food?
Grains such as wheat, corn, rice, oats, barley, rye, and soy are commonly used to manufacture dog foods. These are taken out and substituted with other sources of carbohydrates such as potatoes, lentils, peas, or quinoa. These dog foods also use higher-quality ingredients such as real chicken, beef, pork, salmon, tuna, eggs which are whole protein sources that are better than byproducts. Organic fruits and vegetables may also be added to provide vitamins, minerals, fibre, and healthy carbohydrates.
What Are The Benefits?
- Easier To Digest – There has been a long-standing controversy about whether dogs are omnivores or carnivores. Wolves, the known ancestors of dogs, are carnivores, and because of this, a dog’s digestive system may not have the basic support to break down grains. Because of the mass production of pet food, it is more cost-effective to use grain-based fillers and additives such as low-quality meat byproducts. Often, dogs would have difficulty digesting these pet foods, resulting in diseases, inflammation of the intestines, rashes, and other serious health issues. Therefore, grain free dog food is easier to digest, and the nutrients it offers will be utilised more efficiently.
- Eliminates Allergy Symptoms – Some dogs are allergic to common ingredients in regular dog food such as wheat, corn, and soy. When ingested by allergic dogs, their immune system overreacts, leading to itching, dry skin, and sometimes, diarrhea. Putting these dogs on a grain-free diet may help alleviate their symptoms and improve their quality of life.
- Better Nutrition – Mass-produced dog foods usually bulk out their products with plenty of grains to produce large quantities at a lower price. Because of the use of carbohydrate-heavy grains, these dog foods may have low nutritional value. On the other hand, a grain-free diet that is high in protein and vegetables and contains good carbohydrate sources will allow your dog’s digestive system to work more efficiently and effectively because proteins and fats are easier to break down.
- Better Protein Source – As previously mentioned, carbohydrate-heavy grains are used in mass-produced dog food because they contain many calories. Grain-free recipes are made by including potatoes and other carbohydrates. The protein content is also increased by adding more meat or meat byproducts to compensate for the calorie deficit. The higher protein content also serves as a raw material to build muscle tissues.
- Aesthetic Benefits – Grain-free diet can also make your dogs look healthier because you are eliminating potential allergens. There will be fewer incidences of dry, itchy, irritated, and inflamed skin. Moreover, grains are a poor source of essential oils and minerals needed to maintain healthy skin and coat. Grain-free pet foods can also help improve your pet’s breath because there are fewer carbohydrates left in your pet’s mouth which serves as the food of bacteria that produces halitosis.
The benefits of grain free dog food are vast. Choosing your dog food will impact your pet’s health. If you choose the right food, your dog will be able to live a long and healthy life. Choosing the wrong food may make your dog suffer from nutritional and other health issues. Hence, opt for a grain-free diet for your pets, ensuring they live a healthy life.