Cloud migration is in full swing nowadays. Companies are shifting their IT resources from on-premises to virtual servers to getting a competitive advantage. Every business has its own reasons for migrating to the cloud, some wanting to increase their agility while others seek to improve data security. If you are a business owner and looking for a cloud migration service, it is vital to know its different types and benefits. Before we proceed, let’s know what cloud migration is.
The process of shifting applications, data, and other IT resources from on-premises to the cloud is known as Cloud platform migration. From data storing to data analytics, you will find myriad types of cloud migration services. It is provided by a third-party vendor, known as MSP ( managed service provider). Cloud migration can be done wholly or partially. For example, when companies move half of their services to the cloud and run some applications on-premises, it is known as hybrid cloud migration. In addition, cloud migration also refers to transferring data and apps from one cloud to another. So, don’t get confused between these two technologies.
How Is Cloud Migration Done?
- First of all, you need to identify the purpose of migrating resources to the cloud.
- The next step is to evaluate the overall cost.
- Then select the cloud environment. There are two types of cloud environments: single cloud and multi-cloud.
- Decide which model you will deploy. There are three options: IaaS, SaaS, and PaS.
- This step is very crucial, find the right cloud-migration service provider.
- Now prioritize the components which you want to migrate.
- Build an efficient data refactoring plan and execute it.
- Finally, move on to the production system.
Types Of Cloud Migration
Some changes to the OS and applications are made in re-platforming to take advantage of the cloud platform. It is a very cost-efficient migration method. Moreover, it allows you to shift a small portion of the apps to the cloud in the initial phase. Put simply; you can experiment with the cloud environment and can shift other resources later on.
It is also known as the lift-and-shift model and the simplest one. In this, all applications and data are moved to the public cloud from the current hosting environment. The ReHost model is generally the first choice of large organizations due to its simplicity and high speed. Furthermore, this process requires only a small number of resources to migrate apps and data.
In this model, many changes are done on the code of the apps during the migration process to take the leverage of the cloud platform. Refactoring is more intricate and time consuming than other types of cloud migration models. However, if you successfully deploy a refactoring model, you can achieve a higher ROI.
Some apps really don’t need to shift to the cloud platform. Therefore, some organizations decide to go on with the retain model. It means they run some applications on their own premises and some on cloud environments. Many agencies provide this type of hybrid cloud migration services in Chicago as well as other regions of the world.
Cloud migration has several benefits, some of which are the following.
- First, it reduces the overall cost of IT infrastructure. You do not need to buy expensive hardware and software, nor do you need to appoint IT staff to take care of databases and networks.
- With the implementation of the cloud, you will also enjoy strong data and network security. Cloud service providers protect your IT infrastructure from hackers and malware.
- All your data will be saved on the virtual server. So you do not have to worry about disaster recovery plans.
- The cloud platform provides a more flexible environment and ease of collaboration.
- Another advantage of cloud migration is that you can increase or decrease IT resources anytime according to your needs.
- Your staff will get a chance to use the most advanced software at minimal cost with cloud migration.